Why are our dancing maths workshop and live show beneficial to children?
Our DANCING MATHS classes have lots of benefits for children (please see the research below). They promote active learning, a healthy lifestyle, creativity and they are great for body image, self esteem and confidence.... not forgetting more opportunity to develop maths skills. Most of all we have lots of fun! - The perfect recipe for learning.
“Staff have felt that the underpinning research was of very high quality” Janice Porter, Head Teacher, Ryton Community Infants.
Dance Equation Director - Rebecca Hart has spent several years developing creative practice to bring the maths curriculum alive through dance, drama and rhythm. As part of the initial action research, an independent evaluation consultant - Lizzie Haines, collated evidence that looked at the benefits for children.
Here are the main conclusions drawn from the report written as part of the research and consultant process.
By Lizzie Haines:
- There is a strong link between dance and maths, both relying on elements such as pattern and rhythm. It appears that using bodies to explore mathematical concepts helps children learn in various ways:
- children experience the concepts with their whole bodies and imaginations, without language, which gives them another level of understanding
- dance allows experimentation and play with concepts which helps to fix them for children
- physically experiencing the concepts without the intervention of language enables the ideas to be implanted more fully without lengthy verbal explanation.
- children work together on the dance work, allowing them to collaboratively learn concepts that they may have struggled with alone and contribute to problem solving and creativity.
- the body can be seen as a tool that concretises the mathematical concept and allows children to dispense with language or pen and paper as tools for learning. For some children this may be their best way of learning. For others it may confirm the learning they do in the classroom.
- finally, dance sessions with Dance Equation are seen as hugely enjoyable for all children involved: they are a great incentive for children to learn the concepts that they will need to participate in them”
If you are interested in finding out how we could work at your school, please contact us with some brief details about your school and location so that we can advise you of the best options for your school.